In Genoa, Ecovan/EcoRAEE service is still growing. From Monday, April 1, green stations will pass from 30 to 34, with a new weekly collection
Since the beginning of 2019 volunteering activities on Genoa's beaches involved Amiu and many different local associations. The volunteers
WEENMODELS project aims to define and implement a new model of WEEE reverse logistics, which will
achieve several goals in the experimentation area:
1) NETWORKING: to enhance the strategic role of retailers and conveyors (also medium and small
ones), through involving in the system the 50% of the actors in pilot area.
2) INCREASING THE COLLECTION OF WEEE AMOUNT: to exceed WEEE collection overall target set by
the new European directive: over 45% by 2016.
3) IMPROVEMENT OF SMALL WEEE COLLECTION: to triple, by 2016, the actual rate of small WEEE
collected per inhabitant.
4) POLLUTION REDUCTION: Minimize the WEEE disposal as usual urban waste will avoid potential
contamination of hazardous substances inside non-dangerous waste and possible leakage of pollutants
into environment; at the moment there is no data concerning this issue, a new measurement methodology will be defined and applied.
5) CONTROL INCREASE: the ability to track the WEEE position during the whole collection process
(customer, retailers, municipal or private platform and consortium treatment centre) allows to avoid
that WEEE could be sent to illegal market: 100% of WEEE collected through the new logistic system
6) SYSTEM EFFICIENCY INCREASE: efficiency improvement of the overall WEEE reverse logistics,
through the optimization of collection transport services, reduction of operational costs and
environmental externalities of transport: 10% reduction in comparison with the actual situation
7) WASTE REDUCTION: to select and address towards reconditioning a significant share of WEEE that
today are disposed as waste: 3% of WEEE amount managed through the new logistic system
8) ECOBUSINESS DEVELOPMENT: to create new opportunities for economic activities related to the EEE
reprocessing and reuse
The project will be the occasion to define and test new methodologies for WEEE collection
measurement and for WEEE Life Cycle evaluation, consistent with latest European regulations.